Wednesday, August 26, 2009

8 Incredible Years and counting....

8 years ago we were all eagerly counting down the minutes until the marriage of the century (in our books!) took place.  As new Christians we had no idea what that would entail, but this was to be different for us both.  We had both been married before and had one thing in concrete before ever making a commitment, this marriage had no 'open door' policy.  Divorce was not an option.  We spent 10 months talking these issues out, it made all the difference.  Prevention has truly been the better cure.  Paul came into our union with a dog named Zoe, I came with 3 gorgeous children named Drew 8, Jake 5, and Georgia 4.  So neither of us was taking this lightly.
So I look back in amazement that time has flown by so fast. We have been through so much together that I feel as though we should be having our 20th!  We have moved 11 times (thankfully homeschool has helped here), Paul has been a bus driver, baker, delivery man, dairy milker and student, we have searched for fellowship and met many interesting people along the way.  Change has come in many ways during this search.  We have lost family members.  We have learnt a lot about living on the land raising chooks, cows, sheep and horses.  Then there were the gardening experiences, too many to mention, but wonderful times and great food.  The pests, snakes, possums etc, that made life fun and scarey.  Drew's driving lessons have been a learning curve for me!  We now have 5 great cooks in the house.  But most precious and more memorable then any other thing has been the delivery of each of our new additions! 
Paul 'Elijah' Karl came 13 months after we were married, Shekinah Emmanuelle Grace (or Emma as we know her) was delivered at home by her daddy 17 months later, Samuel David 13 months later - another daddy delivery, Beloved 'Jemimah' Joy  at home 2 years after that and finally our latest little darling (and last child) Faithful Sojourn Abagail (or Suki) born at hospital 7 months ago.  
 I am amazingly blessed to have the husband I have.  He has always led me, protected me and cared for me, but seeing him grow as a father has made my love for him grow deeper than imaginable.   5 years ago he placed the Bible  on our dining table, opened it and made the decision to camp out there from that moment on. He has read to us all everyday, we have all grown in many ways, but watching our family grow because of his 'Family Bible Time, has been beautiful. It has become my favourite time of the day and these memories are priceless in our marriage.  Our little darling Georgia has grown from the little girl that answered nearly every Bible question with, 'Uumm live a godly life',  to enriching interactions. We have studied the Bible all over Australia in many different settings.
 I am so thankful for you Paul, you drop anything to help me around the house, to chat with me or to pray me through something.  I am not sure of the 'ways' of other husbands, but I am sure you, my honey, surpass them all.  You know the importance of investing in the spiritual growth of your family, for that I am truly thankful. 
So as we draw closer to this anniversary my darling, I want to say thanks for being the man you are.  And more than this, thank you for constantly expecting more of yourself, learning more and hoping more.  Your love, faith and devotion to God and all of us is my little glimpse of glory. 
I love you Pauly.
My favourite quote,
              "Marriage is 98% living and 2% looking - so learn to value character over appearance".